Thursday, March 17, 2016

Inspirations


When I think of my magazine, two specific magazines come to mind: 
Bon Appétit and Food and Wine. At first, I only aspired for my magazine to have the same values Bon Appétit, but after looking more in depth into several magazines, I realized that I want similar characteristics for my magazine as Food and Wine has. However, I draw major inspiration from them they both share a similar passion for food as I do. There magazine embodies the outlook and captures the image of what I am aiming to produce. They both feature many hearty meals to make at home, yet they both contain the level of elegance and class that I am looking for. I really love how they both have a nice balance of family oriented food, culture, and lifestyle all revolving around one aspect: their love and passion for food. 

Bon Appétit was founded in 1955, and they have majorly grown since then. Their latest mission statement reads: 
“Food choices that celebrate flavor, affirm regional cultural traditions and support local communities without compromising air, water or soil now and in the future.”
Fedele Bauccio, the founder of Bon Appétit Management Co., has the same goal I do for a cooking magazine: celebrating food. His whole mantra revolves around flavor, but after learning more about him, he is all about appreciating the sustainability of food. Now, I understand how important it is to endure biological and ecological systems and to be environmentally friendly and, yes, I agree with him to a certain degree; however, I'm really not interested in it for my magazine because it's not what I'm aiming for. I did not like founding this out because at that moment I felt like I was following the wrong path. So, after finding this out, I also found out that they are changing their mission statement and I was really not to happy about it, but it's okay, I'm moving on from them.

This is their proposed mission statement: 
"A sustainable future for food service means flavorful food that’s healthy and economically viable for all, produced through practices that respect farmers, workers, and animals; nourish the community; and replenish our shared natural resources for future generations."
Yeah, see what I mean? Not my style, sorry.

But then, Food and Wine came and saved me from my short-termed misery. I came across their mission statement, which is quite lengthy, but I liked it so much better then the previous ones mentioned above. 
"FOOD & WINE is the ultimate authority on the best of what's new in food, drink, travel, design and entertaining.  The epicurean mind-set translates into a passion for life, and as the ultimate authority, FOOD & WINE gives you access to the food and wine world like no other brand. We reach the ultimate epicurean - your best customer - and create unique experiences and emotional connections between these influential consumers and your brand that inspire engagement and transaction."
Ahhh... much better. The founders Michael and Ariane Batterberry, and the happy couple, want to express the history of food and culture by reaching their audience on another level. They want to create deeper connections with their audience, to both men and women, as do I.

We share a very similar target audience: 

  • Family oriented women and men
  • Ages 25-50
  • Both middle and high socioeconomic status
I would like to also reach out to men because I feel like it is important to have an opportunity for both genders to be interested in the passion and love for food, and to be interested in my magazine. I want my audience to feel that element of elegance and decadence, but I also want them to feel comfortable reading it, not feeling like a food-snob. 

Despite my distaste for the new changes Bon Appétit is making for their upcoming magazines, I still enjoy their cover pages and the food they feature, which is why I still aspire to have a similar image. 


                                               
              


Here are some cover images for Food and Wine you all can equally enjoy: 


           


Citations:
Food & Wine Magazine Media Kit. (n.d.). Retrieved March 17, 2016, from http://www.foodandwine.com/microsites/fwmediakit/index.html

Kuczynski, A. (1998). 30 Years of Love and Chronicling Cuisine. Retrieved March 17, 2016, from http://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/20/nyregion/public-lives-30-years-of-love-and-chronicling-cuisine.html

Defining Sustainability: Bon Appétit Leads the Way. (n.d.). Retrieved March 17, 2016, from http://www.foodservicedirector.com/ideas-innovation/going-green/articles/defining-sustainability-bon-app-tit-leads-way

Food Service for a Sustainable Future, 2.0 - Bon Appétit Management Co. (2012). Retrieved March 17, 2016, from http://www.bamco.com/blog/redefining-sustainability-2/


No comments:

Post a Comment